Tuesday, March 1, 2011




Looks like we'll have another mild day. With the last two winter lambs born yesterday, I have a break until the spring lambers begin. We'll get the Scotties shorn in two weeks and then be able to tell how far along or even if they're pregnant.

Had one ewe hang back at feeding time this morning. She lambed a week ago and should be feeling okay, so I gave her some penicillin in case she's working on a uterine infection. She has beautiful twin ewe lambs and I hope she doesn't have a serious problem.

The horses have started shedding some hair, even though we have lots of cold weather left before spring. The colt is so woolly still he sweats a lot whenever he runs. He's ten months now and very tall and stout. His dam is bred back but hasn't gotten very large and I'm hoping she'll have a nice little filly this time.

We have accumulated a number of doves who come for the chicken feed and a pair of ravens that stop in once in a while to see what's going on.

I really want to work the dogs again so I don't forget what I learned over the weekend, but I have to meet with a contractor at our old house and do a major grain run today. Yesterday I was just too beat after the big weekend and spent most of the day putting things away and getting everything back to normal.

Hope the weather holds for practice tomorrow and then maybe in to Gardnerville on Thursday.

I've posted a couple of photos from last week's snow: Bun toddling along; Vider, who'll be 10 next week; and a picture of Lasca loping with Nan really turning it on in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment